Sunday, November 17, 2013

Random Album Review 2: Wings At the Speed of Sound (1976)

I have a very large number of albums in my music collection, many that I have never really listened to. In order to plumb the depths of my musical library, I am going to have iTunes give me a random album, which I will listen to and review (poorly).

This is the second.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Wings At the Speed of Sound (1976)

Let 'em In
A classic McCartney tune, and worthy of that title. Solid groove and nice variations. Catchy. 8/10

The Note You Never Wrote
Weird lyrics. Great instrumentation and a sweet guitar solo. 9/10

She's My Baby
Not too crazy about the lyrics. It has an interesting peppy rhythm. Simple. 5/10

Beware My Love
Driving rhythm, reminds me of disco a little bit? I feel like I'm expecting something more original... that seems unfair. It seems my copy also cuts off almost a minute too short. 6/10

Wino Junko
Nice groove. I love the guitar tone in the solo. 8/10

Silly Love Songs
I need to admit, I've heard this song a million times on the radio and such and it has become one of my least favorite McCartney songs. It is a nice song, though. The horns and multiple vocal lines are really well done. 8/10

Cook of the House
Weird song... a sort of boogie woogie tune about cooking. 5/10

Time to Hide
Nice vocals and melody. I really like the guitar solo and the organ. 8/10 

Must Do Something About It
Really good lyrics, melody, chord changes, and instrumentation. 8/10 

San Ferry Anne
Yes, this is great. I love this song. Warm vocals, wonderful lyrics, great rhythm. Did the Decemberists ever hear this? 10/10

Warm and Beautiful
This song is warm and beautiful. I like the piano, and the instrumental parts are great. 10/10

Overall:

This is a wonderful album. 'Let 'em In' and 'Silly Love Songs' are super famous, and 'The Note You Never Wrote,' 'San Ferry Anne,' and 'Warm and Beautiful' are definitely getting added to my favorite songs playlist.

Average: 7.72/10    Good

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Edited: Feb 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment